Our products are made to last for many years. To ensure your coat protects you for many years, avoid over cleaning it as the fabric could lose its water repellent properties. We recommend you wash your OOKPIK coat only if necessary, frequent washing can be very damaging for your coat. A water repellent coating should be applied after several washes to enhance the protection against cold. If you have a stain, simply clean it with a damp cloth instead of washing the entire coat.
Follow these tips to prolong their life and maintain their level of performance.
- All OOKPIK jackets are machine washable.
- Remove all pieces of fur and leather if possible.
- Close the jacket and remove the hood from the collar (if applicable).
- Close all zippers and snaps. Then turn the coat inside out.
- Wash your jacket in a front-loading washing machine.
- Wash in cold water using the gentle cycle.
- Use a mild laundry detergent that does not contain bleach, Granger's soap is recommended.
- Hang dry.
- Once dry, put it for 5-10 minutes on the dryer on the lowest heat setting to help puff up the bottom. Add a clean tennis ball to break up any lumps.
- Down that is not properly dried can affect the properties of the coat. As the wet down loses its bulk, the jacket will provide less insulation.
- Once the coat is completely dry, place it on a hanger and store it out of direct sunlight.
- Do not dry clean.
- Do not wash the fur.
- Do not bleach.
- Do not use fabric softener.
- Do not dry at medium or high temperature.
- Avoid using cleaning products that are greasy or leave residue for leather upholstery.
- Store your jacket in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.
- Store the fur flat in a paper bag or cardboard box and place it in a cool, dry place.
- Do not store the fur in a plastic container, cedar trunk, or refrigerator, as these conditions will dry out your fur prematurely.
- Do not compress the fur in a plastic bag or garment bag.
- Hang your coat on a large hanger to maintain the shape of the garment.
- For optimal storage conditions, call on the services of a professional.
It is completely normal to lose some of the parka’s down through the fabric or the seams. Down is composed of very fine fibers that could go through the small holes in the fabric’s weave created by the needle during the coat’s confection. In this case, we recommend you avoid pulling on the down, and using a pointy object, try to reinsert the down into the coat. Rub the area afterwards.
If your coat loses a big quantity of down, don’t hesitate to contact us.
NATURAL FUR CARE
- Do not wash the fur. Fur must be cleaned by a specialist.
- Brush it occasionally to restore its volume.
- Avoid spraying products containing alcohol example : perfumes or hairsprays to avoid discolouration of the fur.
- Protect the fur trim from friction and rubbing (i.e. repetitive rubbing against a bag's strap that could quickly and permanently damage your fur trim).